The Support Foundation for visual artists provides means-tested grants for visual artists or their family members.
One-off grants are awarded based on the following criteria:
• old-age allowance can be awarded to visual artists aged 60 or above with a low income
• illness or disability allowance can be awarded to visual artists who have fallen ill or who cannot work due to a disability, and whose assets, earnings or government subsidies are not enough to ensure their livelihood
• grants to cover funeral expenses can be awarded to an artist’s next of kin
Keep in mind that if you have been awarded a grant by the Support Foundation, it may have an impact on the social assistance you receive from Kela. If necessary, contact Kela for more information.
Meetings of the board of the foundation are held, as necessary, to process any applications for support that it receives.
Applying for support:
• The application form (in Finnish) can be downloaded from this site. If you’d like to order the application form in English, please contact Marketta Tuomainen.
• You must include your taxable income, based on the payment you made in the previous year, in your application.
• You can submit your application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via post to: Iso Roobertinkatu 3–5 A 22 00120 Helsinki.
Taxability of grants
- Grants awarded by The Support Foundation for visual artists is taxable income for the recipient. The Support Foundation does not report the awarded grants to the tax authorities.
- The recipient of the grant must on their own initiative declare the grant for tax purposes, either electronically in MyTax or on paper form 50A Earned income and deductions (3023e). At the same time, the recipient can declare the expenses incurred for the grant awarded by the Support Foundation.
- Grants awarded by the Support Foundation are taxed as other income. The recipient of the grant is responsible for the taxes due on the grant.
The Support Foundation accepts donations.