The Artists' Association of Finland supports and advices visual artists in professional matters concerning working as an artist. The services on this page are issued to all visual artists who have membership in one of our member organisations.

Legal services

The lawyer of the Artists’ Association of Finland provides legal advice and information to members of member associations and community members on matters related to the legal aspects of working as an artist.

The lawyer assists in matters related to commissions and exhibition contracts as well as copyright, taxation and social security issues. Guidance and advice on matters related to association legislation is available to the community members of member associations.

Legal guidance is free to visual artist members of the member associations of the Artists’ Association of Finland (Finnish Painters’ Union, Association of Finnish Sculptors, Association of Photographic Artists, Association of Finnish Printmakers, Artists’ Association MUU) as wells as community members of the Union of Finnish Art Associations and the Association of Photographic Artists.

As a general rule, legal services are not intended for the purposes of addressing disputes between members or member associations, or to represent individual artists in court. However, if there is a matter whose ruling may impact the Association or visual artists on a wider scale, the lawyer may, under special circumstances, bring it before a court.

IAA card

Holders of the international IAA/UNESCO card are entitled to free or discounted admission to museums all over the world.

In Finland, the International Identity Card for Professional Artists is granted by the Artists’ Association of Finland. The card can be granted to members of the member associations of the Artists’ Association of Finland.

If you have been granted an IAA card, visit the office of the Artists’ Association of Finland to collect it. Remember to bring your membership card and a passport photo with you. We recommend scheduling a visit to the office in advance. You can also order a card via email by sending a passport photo and copy of a valid membership card.

ATA Carnet

The Artists’ Association of Finland offers guidance to artists planning to organise an exhibition or export artworks abroad. Artist members of the member associations can obtain an ATA Carnet customs document through the Artists’ Association of Finland. This document is required when exporting artworks outside the EU. 

To apply for an ATA Carnet document, contact your local chamber of commerce and present the authorisation document provided by the Artists’ Association of Finland at least three weeks before the shipment date.

Rehabilitation services

The Artists’ Association of Finland offers professional visual artist members of its member associations the opportunity to seek rehabilitation services to support their ability to work. In 2021 and 2022, visual artists will be able to participate in the KIILA rehabilitation course organised by Kruunupuisto Oy in Punkaharju. The course is free for attendees.

The 18-month course provides attendees with versatile support for work, health and lifestyle improvements. The objective of the rehabilitation course is to improve and support attendees’ ability to work and help them continue to work to the degree that their needs allow. The KIILA rehabilitation course consists of group periods and individual coaching, which are tailored to the attendees’ work and life situations.

You can apply to the KIILA rehabilitation course if you are a professional visual artist, a member of a member association of the Artists’ Association of Finland and:

  • the symptoms of your condition make working and everyday tasks difficult for you
  • your need for rehabilitation has been duly recognised by an occupational health care provider
  • you want support to help you keep working
  • you have an illness or injury that has significantly reduced or may significantly reduce your ability to work and earn a living in the next few years

Kela pays a rehabilitation allowance during the rehabilitation period and also covers some of the travel expenses incurred as part of the rehabilitation course.

How to become a member?

The Artists’ Association of Finland doesn’t have personal members. However, artists automatically become members when they belong to one of the following six organisations: Artists' Association MUU, The Association of Finnish Sculptors, The Union of Finnish Art Associations, The Association of Finnish Printmakers, Finnish Painters' Union and The Association of Photographic Artists. More information about membership applications can be found directly from each association.

The services of  Artists’ Association of Finland are automatically available to all members of the above mentioned associations.